H. Roy Austin, CPA, CMA, MBA
Managing Principal, Rockwell Business Solutions, LLC
In 2007, Roy Austin founded Rockwell Business Solutions, LLC (RBS), to provide coaching, mentoring, and seminars for small businesses. His passion is helping small business owners achieve their vision and potential to advance their business to the next level.
RBS provides outsource CFO services, business coaching and development, speaking, and negotiations with partners, vendors, and banks. Clients include Crescent Investments, Inc.; Cargo Group; Cargo Transportation Services; Unisource Mortgage; Blue Diamond Pool & Spa.; Bottles Up.; Atlas Surveying.; Cornerstone Physical Therapy; Live Oak BBB; and D. J. Powers, to name a few.
Through his involvement in BNI (Business Network International) and other groups, he has worked with hundreds of small businesses. Roy is a coach, not a consultant. Consultants tell you what to do; Coaches teach you how to do!
Roy is author of The Alligator Business Solution- Small Business Competitive Advantage, released March 28, 2017. The book is a user manual for small businesses and covers all major business functions an owner must manage. Roy’s experience, education, and community service provide a wealth of information for his readers and clients. He has extensive speaking experience locally, regionally, and nationally, as well as corporate workshops and off-sites. Coach Roy’s credentials include:
- Chief Financial Officer for D.J. Powers, Inc., a third party logistics provider: 2002 to 2009.
- Controller for Savannah Manufacturing, an aseptic drink manufacturer.
- 29 years with Eastman Chemical Company, Kingsport, TN, in various accounting, sales forecasting, and market research assignments.
- A. in Economics, minor in Math – Bethany College in West Virginia.
- B.A. in Marketing, minor in Management – Michigan State University.
- Founder and Chair (for 10 years) of the Savannah CFO/Controllers Council, which has grown to over 450 senior financial executives since its inception in 2004.
- “Financial Executive of the Year” in 2004, awarded by the Florida Council region of the Institute of Management Accountants.
- Active with the Savannah Chapter of Institute of Management Accountants (IMA).
- Member Global Institute of Management Accountants Small Business Financial & Regulatory Affairs Committee.
- Former Board of Directors/Treasurer – Bluffton, SC, Chamber of Commerce.
- Business Network International (BNI) Gold Club Member.
- Member Savannah Small Business Chamber of Commerce.
- Founder of Libraries For Kids, Int’l a nonprofit supplying books to rural schools in Kenya and other countries that don’t have access to the internet.
- Prior extensive volunteer work with the Tennessee Department of Corrections & CASA. John R. Hay House named a building in his honor – “Roy Austin Day Reporting Center.”
- Vietnam Veteran – 3 Bronze Stars, 2 Army Commendation Medals.
Before joining Rockwell Business Solutions, Steve was the General Manager of Operations at Casa Larga Vineyards in Fairport, NY. His extensive background includes positions as General Manager of Operations, Glenora Wine Cellars in Dundee, NY; Senior Business Consultant at Farm Credit Bank, Phelps, NY; Senior Extension Faculty, Cornell University; Production Manager, Bob Evans, Columbus, OH; and Quality Control Supervisor, Con Agra, Grayson, KY.
He earned a Bachelor of Science degree and Master of Science in Economics at The Ohio State University where he was also employed as an Economics Research Assistant. Additionally, Steve has a Master of Business Administration from The McGregor School of Antioch University. Steve has received Dale Carnegie awards for Leadership, Human Relations, and Public Speaking and is a BREI certified Business Retention and Expansion Master Consultant; a Certified Tax Preparer; and a licensed Life, Health, Accident, and Annuity Producer.
His more than 25 years’ experience working for and consulting with family businesses began in quality assurance and production management positions in the Midwest. Later, he moved to Upstate New York to work for Cornell University, authoring 16 publications and consulting with hundreds of family businesses on topics such as profitability improvement, business expansion, business financing, and succession planning. In subsequent positions, Steve advised and worked with entrepreneurs in New York’s growing Finger Lakes wine region.
Steve currently works for Clemson University providing consulting services for companies all over South Carolina.
Steve enjoys the great outdoors with activities such as hiking and kayaking.Â He loves reading for work (business management and economics) and for pleasure (fiction mostly, but some history too). To relax, he likes gardening, cooking, and wine making.
Steve moved to Bluffton, South Carolina, in early 2016 to be near his family and he is enjoying our area and the warmer climate.